4/23/2020 - COVID-19 Changes:
On Monday, April 27, EveryStep will open a dedicated unit for hospice patients who have COVID-19. The unit will be located in the Bright Kavanagh Center (in the Glazer-Gurt Wing)and will be exclusively available to hospice patients with COVID-19 who need 24/7 care.
If the organizations or programs you work with serve people who are facing end-of-life illness, are diagnosed with COVID-19 and need 24/7 care, our EveryStep Hospice COVID-19 Unit offers a safe, home-like option in a beautiful setting. Please contact EveryStep Hospice at 515-333-5800 with questions. All patients are screened at admission to determine if special cares and protections should go in place for treating COVID-19 – either in the comfort of their own homes, or in ours.
3/20/220 - COVID-19 Changes:
We have made the decision to close all EveryStep offices to the public, EXCEPT the following locations:
EveryStep’s 9th Street offices, 1111 9th St., and Bright Kavanagh Center, 3000 Easton Blvd., both in Des Moines, will be closed to the public starting Friday, March 20.
- Kavanagh House on 56th Street, 900 56th St., Des Moines
- Greater Regional Hospice Home, 1111 Country Club Dr., Creston
Our offices in Centerville, Council Bluffs, Creston, Knoxville, Mount Ayr, Mt. Pleasant, Osceola, West Des Moines and Winterset, as well as Bright Kavanagh Center, will continue to have vital staff present, can be reached by phone or fax, and will accept critical deliveries of supplies. However, the offices will not be open to the general public.
Effective March 17, EveryStep has cancelled or postponed all community events through May 16, at minimum.
Effective March 16, all in-person volunteer services or visits have been suspended until further notice. Many of our volunteers are at high risk, so we are proactively taking steps to protect their health – and the health of the people we serve. To view a list of volunteer opportunities that you can do from home, click here.
Hospice House Visitors
Effective March 23, EveryStep has revised its visitor guidelines at its Kavanagh House on 56th Street in Des Moines and Greater Regional Hospice Home in Creston. To protect your loved one and our healthcare workers:
- Our hospice houses will be open/unlocked from 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday. To visit your loved one in the evening or on weekends, please ring the doorbell, and a staff person will greet you.
- All visitors to our hospice houses will have their temperature taken upon entrance. They will also be screened for being exposed to someone with COVID-19 or having any of the following symptoms: fever, cough, sore throat, shortness of breath (or other respiratory symptoms), or other signs of illness. If fever or respiratory symptoms are present, the visitor will be asked to leave and encouraged to seek medical attention. We will offer alternative mechanisms for the patient and visitor to interact, such as Microsoft Teams or simply by a phone call.
- We are limiting entry to only two visitors for each hospice house patient, at a time.
- Because children don’t always show typical symptoms of the virus (fever and cough), we are limiting access to adults 18 years or older. We recognize that it may be important for some children to visit a loved one for closure. If you feel such a need exists, please ask to speak with the hospice house director or other leader on staff, who can safely accommodate your request.
- Visitors are asked to remain in the patient’s room as much as possible, and to keep personal belongings in an out-of-the-way area within the patient’s room.
The Care for Kids Program – an Early Periodic Screening, Diagnosis & Treatment (EPSDT) program – serves residents of Polk and Dallas Counties. EPSDT is the benefit package of Medicaid/Title 19 for individuals under 21 years of age. The focus of the EPSDT Care for Kids program is to:
-inform families of the benefits they receive with Medicaid/Title 19. -help individuals secure a medical and dental home. -ensure that eligible individuals receive and understand the importance of preventative health care. -link families to other community resources to improve their health and well-being (WIC, Early ACCESS, parenting classes, child care assistance, housing assistance, food pantries, etc.).
EveryStep Care & Support Services
Main Phone: (515) 288-1516
Fax: (515) 288-0437
1111 9th Street
Languages Available: English, Phone interpretation for all other languages
Intake: Call for services
Eligibility: Must be under 21 and currently on Medicaid
Documents Required: Call for details
Hours: Standard business hours are Monday through Friday, 7:45am to 4:30pm. Requests for contact outside of business hours may be accommodated. If calling outside of regular business hours, please leave a message with your name, phone number, and best day and time to contact you.
- Polk County
- Dallas County